West Bridgewater Water Department Laborer
The Water System laborer performs highly technical work in the operation and maintenance associated with the daily operations of the distribution and treatment facilities, wells and related appurtenances. Duties may involve the performance of specialized procedures requiring working knowledge of department functions and techniques. May be required to exercise judgement in the analysis of facts of circumstances surrounding problems in order to determine an appropriate remedial action.
The laborer must be able to respond to emergencies 24/7/365 within 30 minutes or less after notification, should live in close proximity to West Bridgewater, MA.
• Ensure delivery of safe drinking water at all times by complying with Massachusetts Drinking Water Regulations
• Be responsible for all day-to-day operation and management of distribution system
• Be responsible for all day-to-day operation and management of treatment system
• Inspect distribution system daily
• Inspect treatment facilities daily
• May be assigned to the collection of water samples as required by MassDEP
• Ensure that proper chain of custody is performed all samples are delivered to and analyzed by a Massachusetts certified lab,reporting to MassDEP all results within specified time frames
• Participate in and make sure facilities are always ready for a sanitary survey
• May be required to be present and responsible during system repairs and maintenance/oversee repair and maintenance performed by others such as Water Department staff and contractors
• May be required to be present for testing, flushing, cleaning and disinfecting distribution system when necessary
• Troubleshoot equipment, water quantity problems and direct corrective actions as needed
• Troubleshoot causes of water quality complaints and respond to consumer complaints in a timely fashion.
• Maintain a Database log of quality/quantity water complaints
• Maintain awareness of changes in drinking water regulations
• Attend training as needed to maintain certification renewal.
• May be required to accompany regulatory agencies during any on-site inspections
• May be required to accompany any vendors or repair personnel during visits to any of our facilities
• Maintain good working relationships with coworkers and the general public
• Troubleshoot equipment, water quality/quantity problems and direct corrective actions as needed
• Will be assigned work of higher and lower level function, no job is out of the scope possibility
Required to learn, and fully understands water distribution system operation and maintenance practices including but not limited to pipeline disinfection procedures, system flushing strategies, valve and fire hydrant maintenance practices.
• Performs operation and maintenance activities, including but not limited to the installation, modification, connection and repair of the water distribution system.
• Isolates system malfunctions and takes corrective actions.
• Maintains inventory, order materials required to support the distribution system operation and activities.
• Prepares daily logs.
• Available for emergency response.
• May be required to work evenings, weekends and holidays as duties require.
• Shall be required to operate trucks, backhoe, air compressor, pumps and related equipment.
• Must be able to interpret piping, distribution diagrams and engineering drawings.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Superintendent, Foreman, and Office Staff
Will be required at times to work irregular and long work shifts occasionally without warning or notice
Will be required to Stand, Sit, Stoop, Squat, and Reach for long periods of time
Will be required to work in inclement weather conditions
Will be required to lift and hold heavy objects for periods of time done in a safe manner
Will be required to work with extremely hazardous chemicals in a safe manner
Will be required to work in confined spaces, in a safe manner
Will be required to work in high places, utilize ladders and lifts when required, in a safe manner
Will be required to work in unpleasant areas
Will be required to work occasional off standard work shifts, to accomplish water system needs that cannot be done during regular working hours to accommodate the public
Will hold a CDL class A or higher drivers license
Will hold a hoisting license 2A
Will have a DOT medical card
Will be required to abide by the laborers union contract
5 years working experience in a construction environment, working with and around heavy equipment
• Must hold a minimum of a Treatment T2 License Full
• Must hold a minimum of a Distribution D2 License Full
• Must have a CDL Class B Drivers license, with Air Brake endorsement
• Must have a Massachusetts 2A Hoisting license
• Must be able to work with ESRI ArcGIS
Pay to be determined by Work and Experience